Niu Huang Jie Du Pian is a widely used and affordable Chinese patent medicine.
Its formula comes from Niu Huang Jie Du Wan, which is different in the way they are presented. It has been a Chinese patent medicine for more than 800 years.
It is a Chinese family’s standing medicine to clear heat and remove toxin, reduce swelling and relieve pain, and treat diseases caused by excessive internal heat.
The main beneficial ingredients of Niu Huang Jie Du Pian
- Niu Huang (Artificial Calculus Bovis)
- Xiong Huang (Realgar)
- Shi Gao (Gypsum)
- Da Huang (Radix et Rhizoma Rhei)
- Huang Qin (Radix Scutellariae)
- Jie Geng (Radix Platycodi )
- Bing Pian (Borneol)
- Gan Cao (Licorice Root)
In the early days, people used natural Niu Huang (Cattle gallstone powder) to make it into Niu Huang Jie Du.
The natural calculus bovis is very rare, and its price is higher than gold. In some medicines containing calculus bovis, artificial calculus bovis can replace natural calculus bovis.
The artificial calculus bovis is composed of bovine bile powder, cholic acid, hyodeoxycholic acid, taurine, bilirubin, cholesterol, and trace elements.
As the main ingredient of this medicine, Niu Huang can relieve fever and remove toxin.
Xiong Huang can remove damp heat, inhibit S. pyogenes, human colon bacterium, skin fungus, and anti-tumor.
Shi Gao and Jie Geng can treat cough and asthma, phlegm, a sore throat caused by lung heat.
Da Huang and Huang Qin can remove damp heat, relief of constipation, help the body to eliminate harmful toxins.
Bing Pian and Gan Cao can clear heat, remove toxin, relieve pain, and eliminate swelling.
Benefits of Niu Huang Jie Du Pian
- Treating inflammatory stye caused by a bacterial infection.
- Treating bad breath, thirst, constipation, yellow urine caused by Gastrointestinal heat accumulation.
- Treating dry throat, red eyes, hot nasal cavity, rotten corners of the mouth, nosebleeds, toothache caused by heat toxins.
- Treating herpes zoster, mastitis, simple folliculitis, furuncle, injection site infection, suppurative otitis media.
How to use Niu Huang Jie Du Pian
It can be taken orally and used externally.
When using it, follow the instructions of the medicine and control the dosage.
Oral administration: 3 pieces each time (about 0.8g), 2-3 times per day. The course of treatment should not exceed 3 days. You should stop taking it after your health is getting better.
External use: you need to grind it into a powder, mix it with alcohol or other drugs, and apply it to the affected area, 3-5 tablets each time.
- Stye: mix it with 50% alcohol and use it once in the morning and evening for 5-6 days.
- Herpes zoster: mix it with physiological saline and use it 3 to 4 times per day for 3-6 days.
- Mastitis: mix it with distiller’s grains and use it 2 times per day for 2-3 days.
- Simple folliculitis: mix it with honey and use it once in the morning and evening for 3-5 days.
- Furuncle: mix it with Jing Wan Hong Ointment and use it 1 time per day for 3 to 5 days.
- Injection site infection: mix it with 60% alcohol and use it every 2 hours drip alcohol into the affected area for 3 days.
- Suppurative otitis media: the ear is first washed with hydrogen peroxide and blown it into the ear and use it 1 time per day for 6-10 days.
Side effects of Niu Huang Jie Du Pian
Overdose may cause arsenic poisoning.
A small number of people taking Niuhuang Jiedu Pill for a long time can cause addictive symptoms. After stopping taking it, there will be general malaise, excitement and insomnia, loss of appetite, and burning of the upper abdomen.
Precaution of Niu Huang Jie Du Pian
- Pregnant women, newborns are forbidden to take it.
- People with allergies and spleen and stomach deficiency should not take it.
- People with chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, heart disease, liver disease, diabetes, and kidney disease need to take it under the guidance of a doctor.
- When taking it, you should not smoke, drink alcohol, or eat spicy, greasy food.
- It should not be taken with dairy products containing calcium.
- It can’t be taken with anti-inflammatory drugs (such as aspirin), they can cause duodenal ulcers and stomach bleeding.
- During the medication, if the frequency of stool increases, it is necessary to reduce its dosage.
- If you are using other medicines, it’s better to consult a physician before using it.
It should not be taken with drugs containing the following ingredients: chloral hydrate, morphine, phenobarbital, tetracyclines, phosphates, sulfates, nitrates, isoniazid, cardiac glycosides, alkaloids, metal ions.