Sang Ju Yin also known as Sang Ju Wan, Sang Ju Pian, Sang Ju Gan Mao Pian or Clear Wind Heat Teapills is a common and practical Chinese medicine prescription. It first appeared in <Wen Bing Tiao Bian> (Treatise on differentiation and treatment of seasonal warm diseases) in 1,798 AD.
Sang means “mulberry leaf”, Ju means “chrysanthemum”, and Yin means “beverage”.
Sang Ju Yin has 2 forms, namely pills and decoction.The decoction of it is still widely used, but the pills are safer and more rigorous.
In Chinese medicine, Sang Ju Yin is often used to relieve exterior symptoms, dispel wind and heat, ventilate lung and relieve cough, treat wind-heat, influenza, acute bronchitis, upper respiratory tract infections, pneumonia, acute conjunctivitis, and keratitis.
Main beneficial ingredients of Sang Ju Yin
- Sang Ye (Mulberry Leaf)
- Ju Hua (Flos Chrysanthemi)
- Bo He (Mentha)
- Ku Xing Ren (Bitter Apricot Seed)
- Jie Geng (Radix Platycodi)
- Lian Qiao (Fructus Forsythiae)
- Lu Gen (Rhizoma Phragmitis)
- Gan Cao (Licorice Root)
Sang Ye and Ju Hua play a key role in this recipe.
The medicinal property of Sang Ye is relatively cold. It can dispel wind and heat, clear lung heat, moisten lung dryness, and relieve dry cough, cough, and itchy throat.
The medicinal property of Ju Hua is slightly cold. It can clear lung heat, relieve fever, headache, and cough caused by wind-heat.
The medicinal property of Bo He is relatively cool. It is used together with Ju Hua and Sang Ye to enhance their medicinal effects. Also, it can relieve sore throat and headache caused by wind-heat.
The medicinal property of Ku Xing Ren is slightly warm, with a bitter taste. It can lower lung qi and relieve cough and asthma.
The medicinal property of Jie Geng is relatively mild, with a pungent taste. It can disperse and improve lung qi, expel phlegm and relieve cough and chest tightness. Their bidirectional regulation of lung qi can improve lung function.
The medicinal properties of Lian Qiao and Lu Gen are relatively cold. Lian Qiao can clear heat and remove toxin, relieve early symptoms of wind-heat such as headache, fever, and sore throat. Lu Gen can clear heat and reduce fire, promote fluid production and relieve irritability and thirst caused by febrile diseases.
The medicinal property of Gan Cao is relatively mild. It can reconcile other herbs in this recipe and reduce the side effects of other herbs. It is sweet and improves the taste of this recipe.
Benefits of Sang Ju Yin
- Anti-inflammation, anti-pathogen, anti-allergy.
- Scavenging oxygen free radicals and delaying aging.
- Inhibiting the central nervous system and having sedation and analgesic effects.
- Inhibiting gastric acid secretion and alleviating gastrointestinal spasms.
- Reducing capillary permeability and preventing capillary rupture and bleeding.
- Improving the phagocytic capacity of phagocytic cells and enhancing body immunity.
- Relaxing bronchial smooth muscle and relieving bronchiectasis, cough, and asthma.
- Promoting eruptions and treating the insufficient outbreak of early measles.
- Relieving symptoms such as fever, cough, itching throat and chest pain in the early stage of wind-heat.
- Treating pertussis, acute tonsillitis, pneumonia, conjunctivitis, keratitis.
- Treating influenza, acute bronchitis, acute mumps, upper respiratory tract infections.
How to use Sang Ju Yin
When using Sang Ju Yin, follow the instructions for the medicine.
When taking herbal decoction, you should mix the herbs and decoct them together, 200ml each time, 2 times daily.
When taking the pill, 4-8 tablets (about 3 ~ 5g) each time, 2-3 times daily. It is recommended to be taken with warm water.
Generally, if you take it for 1-2 days, your symptoms will be improved. You should stop taking it after the disease is eliminated.
Side effects of Sang Ju Yin
Sang Ju Yin has been used clinically for many years with almost no side effects.
A small proportion of patients taking it may cause chest tightness and palpitations.
Precaution of Sang Ju Yin
- It is not recommended to drink alcohol, smoke, or eat spicy or greasy foods while taking this medicine.
- It is not recommended to take nourishing Chinese medicine while taking this medicine.
- It should not be used to relieve cough caused by wind-cold.
- If you are using herbal decoction, it is not recommended to decoct for a long time.
- People with chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, etc. should take it under the guidance of doctors.
- Children, pregnant women, and lactating women should take it under the guidance of doctors.
- If symptoms are not relieved after taking the medicine for 3 days, you should go to the hospital for treatment.
- People who are allergic to the ingredients of Sang Ju Yin should not take it.
- If you are using other medicines, you need to ask your doctor.