Sang Ye is also known as Folium Mori and is the leaf of Mulberry, which is a deciduous tree belonging to Moraceae. It is the main food of silkworm.
Mulberry is an economic plant and originated in China, which is now mainly distributed in some countries in Asia and Europe.
The Chinese have a tradition of planting mulberry trees. They believe that mulberry represents their hometown. Its trunk can be made into furniture or musical instruments, and its branches can be woven into baskets. Its bark can be used to make paper, and its fruits can be eaten or made into wine.
After the first frost of each year, people gather mulberry leaves, remove their impurities, dry them in the sun, remove their petioles, and make them into Chinese herbs.
Sang Ye contains ecdysone, inokosterone, sitosterol, violaguercitrin, moracetin, isoquercitin, scopoletin, choline, folacin, chlorogenic acid, volatile oils, muti-amino acids and vitamins. The best Sang Ye is yellow-green and has no smell.
According to <Shennong Ben Cao Jing>, the medicinal property of Sang Ye is relatively cold, with a sweet and bitter taste. It has a certain therapeutic effect on the pathological changes of the lung and liver meridians.
In Chinese medicine, Sang Ye is often used to treat wind-heat, whooping cough, corneal ulcers, esophagitis, atrophic gastritis, and chronic cholecystitis.
There are about 50 kinds of traditional Chinese medicine prescriptions containing Sang Ye, such as Shou Wu Pian, Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin, Sang Ju Yin, and Kun Bao Wan.
Health benefits of Sang Ye (Mulberry Leaf)
- Anti-inflammation, anti-oxidation, and anti-pathogen.
- Promoting urination and improving tissue edema.
- Promoting insulin secretion and regulating blood sugar.
- Relaxing intestinal smooth muscles and relieving intestinal spasms.
- Relaxing bronchial smooth muscles, relieving bronchiectasis, cough, and asthma.
- Relieving redness and swelling of eyes and improving eyesight.
- Relieving cough, hemoptysis, and phlegm caused by lung heat.
- Cleaning up neutral fats and cholesterol in the blood and lowering blood lipids.
- Clearing heat and removing the toxin, moisturizing the intestines and improving constipation.
- Supplementing liver yin, treating dizziness, headache, irritability caused by hyperactivity of liver yang.
- Treating filarial elephantiasis and chyluria.
- Treating fever, cough, itchy throat and chest pain caused by wind-heat.
- Inhibiting Staphylococcus aureus, hemolytic streptococcus B, Diphtheria Bacillus, Bacillus anthracis, Escherichia coli, typhoid bacillus, dysentery bacillus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Leptospira.
Sang Ye is used with other Chinese herbs
- It with Ju Hua (Chrysanthemum) and Jin Yin Hua (Flos Lonicerae) can relieve conjunctivitis and improve vision.
- It with Sang Ji Sheng (Mulberry Mistletoe Stem), Yi Mu Cao (Leonurus), Tao Ren (Semen Persicae), and Dong Gua Zi (Winter melon seeds) can treat chronic appendicitis.
- It with Ju Hua (Chrysanthemum), Bo He (Mentha), and Lian Qiao (Fructus Forsythiae) can treat fever, headache, and cough caused by wind-heat.
- It with Ju Hua (Chrysanthemum), Shi Jue Ming (Concha Haliotidis), and Bai Shao (White Peony Root) can treat dizziness and headache caused by hyperactivity of liver yang.
- It with Sang Ji Sheng (Mulberry Mistletoe Stem), Niu Xi (Radix Achyranthis Bidentatae), and Gui Zhi (cassia twig) can relieve soft tissue contusion and rheumatic pain.
Side effects of Sang Ye
When the mouse’s abdomen is over-injected with its decoction for a long time, the organs of the mouse are not damaged, so it has almost no side effects.
A small percentage of people with psoriasis taking it may cause skin redness, skin swelling, desquamation, fever, and other reactions.
Precautions of Sang Ye
- The dosage of Sang Ye should be controlled at 5-10g.
- It can be made into decoctions, tea, or pills for oral use, or mashed for external use.
- It should not be used to relieve cough, runny nose, or phlegm caused by wind-cold or lung cold.
- People with deficiency-cold of the stomach should not take it.
- People with yang deficiency should not take it.