Dampness is a theoretical concept of TCM. Chinese medicine doctor deems that it is one of the causes of the disease.
Everyone has dampness in his bodies, but the proportion of dampness is different. When there is too much dampness in the body, people will suffer from some diseases.
Dampness can’t be removed completely. It is like the water in the human body and can only be adjusted through diet and living.
Main causes of excessive dampness in the body
- Drinking alcohol will increase the body’s dampness.
- Long-term lack of exercise can lead to a decline in heart and lung function, poor blood circulation, and the accumulation of water in the body.
- People will be invaded by cold when they are in a humid environment for a long time. When cold enters the body, it will accumulate and form dampness in the body.
- The spleen can remove excess water from the body, but when the spleen is deficient, water will accumulate in the body and form dampness. Long-term consumption of meat food can cause spleen deficiency.
Harms of excessive dampness
- Accumulating in the epidermis of the human body, the skin will be shiny, acne, spotted, and the hair will become greasy.
- Accumulating in the joints of humans, it can cause joint pain in the human body.
- Accumulating in the spleen, it can cause spleen deficiency, and people will have symptoms of phlegm and cough.
- Accumulating in the head, it can cause dizziness, lethargy, fatigue, muscle pain and other symptoms.
- Accumulating in human tissue, it tends to cause puffiness and edema.
Excessive dampness can also cause, bad breath, bitter mouth, thick and greasy tongue coating, chest tightness, turbid urine, sticky stool.
How to dispel dampness
- Reasonable diet, eat less greasy, cold food. When drinking soup, add some Chinese herbs such as Fu Ling (Poria Cocos), Sheng Jiang (Fresh Ginger Rhizome), Chen Pi (Dried Tangerine Peel), and Qian Shi (Semen Euryales), which can nourish the spleen and remove moisture.
- Proper exercise can speed up gastrointestinal motility and metabolism, and accelerate the excretion of dampness.
- Cupping: Chinese medicine believes that this method can open the meridians, accelerate blood circulation, and remove dampness.
- Scraping: this method is very common in China and can speed up the body’s heat dissipation, detoxification and remove dampness.
- Moxibustion: using Chinese herbs to smoke the acupuncture points of the human body, the dampness will disappear when it is hot.
Cupping, scraping, moxibustion, these three methods involve the operation of the doctor, need to go to a professional medical institution, should not to try personally.